Rock Chick

Rock Chick - Kristen Ashley Rock Chick Review Week at Miss Construed's Reviews! Day One: Rock Chick. For tens of thousands of Kristen Ashley fans this is the book that started it all. Rock Chick is a fast-paced, drama-filled, roaring good time. Full of sexy men who know how to handle themselves, women with a backbone, and an interesting story line, I couldn't put it down.Know the phrase "off with a bang"? Kristen Ashley certainly takes that to heart, as Rock Chick opens with it's protagonist India "Indy" Savage being pursued by some not-so-nice guys after her employee Ambrose "Rosie". Like they come into her bookstore/cafe, Fortnum's and start shooting at her! Stuck, with no where safe to go Indy calls on her best friend and fellow Rock Chick, Ally Nightingale. Ally suggests that she stay at her brother Liam "Lee"'s house because he's out of town.What Ally didn't say was that Lee was due home that night. Indy gets quite the surprise when she is dragged out of bed, literally, by the original Hot Bunch man himself. Lee is quite annoyed to find that Indy has landed herself in the middle of such a mess. Her coffee man, Rosie, has gotten tangled with some unsavory individuals who would like their diamonds! back. Indy enlists Lee's help, her childood crush who certainly isn't a boy anymore. He's definitely graduated from bad boy to badass in the time since Indy had tried to squelch her unrequited love.Only...it's not so unrequited anymore.“For what it’s worth, I’ll share my intentions. You and me, we aren’t practice for the real thing. It isn’t that too much is at stake with family and friends, it’s because I love you. You’re funny, beautiful and you care about people. I like the way you look at me, especially when you think I don’t notice it. I like that we have history and our kids will have a big family and share that history because there was never a time when their Mom and Dad weren’t together. If you were a terrible lay, I might have second thoughts but you and I are dynamite together. I intend to marry you and spend the rest of my life with you. If that freaks you out, tough, because now we’ve started this, there’s no goin’ back.” Now that Lee is in a place in his life where he can have a relationship, he is finally returning Indy's attentions. With enthusiasm. Indy, who is stunned by the turn of events, begins backpedaling. Surely he can't be THAT into her so quickly. I mean, he's spent the last decade turning her down.He doesn't take Indy's hesitation into consideration at all. True to typical badass, alpha male style Lee goes full steam ahead, practically telling their whole family that he intends to marry her...all within 24 hours of her approaching him for help. I told you. Fast. Paced.While trying to hold Lee off, and not succeeding at all, Indy is still being pursued by those unsavory characters who really, really want their diamonds back. So much so that she's kidnapped, there are car bombs, and dead bodies on her doorstep.I don't think it's possible for me to dislike a Kristen Ashley novel. I thoroughly enjoyed the first installment to the Rock Chick series. It's not my favorite one, because the others are so much more layered, but that's solely due to the history with the characters that you accumulate as you progress through the series. Kristen's signature style is very evident as you read. She has a unique way of writing that reads just like the character's thoughts which allows you to really immerse yourself in the story.India, true to Rock Chick form, was sassy, independent and strong-willed. What I love the most about KA novels is that she doesn't skimp on the backbone when it comes to her female protagonists. Sure they may bend when it comes to their man or family, but they don't break. They give attitude and stand up for themselves. They may cry but they don't whine, they do something about their problems.Lee Nightingale should be the standard by which we measure men. Strong, decisive, caring, kickass, funny, hard edges with a soft center, and pretty packaging to boot. He can find my diamonds any day.Here we are introduced to several key players for the rest of the series, many of which will be featured in their own Rock Chick novel. Ally, Eddie, Hank, Mace, Vance, Luke, Tex, Duke, etc. This first book is basically the base layer. Much of the flavor and love for the series comes as it progresses. You definitely need to start here, get a taste for the series because it only gets better.If you're not sure, but want to try out the first two chapters, Kristen has them on her website here.Casting:Visit my blog for more reviews and recommendations!Join the Miss Construed Review's Facebook community!