Escape from Paradise

Escape from Paradise - Gwendolyn Field Similar to Captive in the Dark and Consequences this enthralling, mindfuckingly twisted account of the kidnap, sexual enslavement, and rescue of Angela Birch ensnares you by the end of the first chapter. 6 stars!It begins innocently. Angela and her college friends plan a secret getaway to Cancun to blow off some steam. It was just supposed to be a good time with friends. Something you think fondly of when you are old and gray remembering the crazy things you did in college. Angela, however, got a lot more than she bargained for when she catches the eye of the beguilingly handsome Fernando at a club their last night in Mexico.Determined to break out of her shell, Angela encourages the attentions of Fernando. Unfortunately for her, his intentions aren't that of a pure nature. He drugs her drink she passes out as he assaults her. The speaks to me about young women being safe in foreign countries, even in America, you're home town. NEVER trust a drink from a stranger and never go off without letting someone know where you are. Unfortunately, sometimes women let their guard down, for whatever reason (and really it sucks that we can't trust other people, but it's just a fact of life) and they are taken advantage of.The next morning she is introduced to her new reality care of sex ring leader and Fernando's father, Marco.I know this must be difficult, but it does not have to be bad. You must come to terms, pretty girl, with the knowledge that your life will never be the same. You will never return home. You belong to me now, and I will treat you well. But if I cannot trust you, I will have to dispose of you. Do you understand? For the next two years (God, I can't even imagine!) she is kept in Marco's villa which is both luxurious and imprisoning. She's not allowed to go outside for fear that someone recognizes her. Within the first few days, she learns exactly what is required of her.Those first few days and watching as she underwent the change from innocent, all-American college student to slave was heartbreaking. She literally had no other option than to accept her place as slave so she did the only thing that she could do. She adapted. Which to me shows more strength and force of will than fighting her fate. Under impossible circumstances, she survived.I had a choice to make. Failing the test would mean death. Passing would mean sexual slavery. Both options were inconceivable. If I fought against this, how would they choose to kill me?Enter Colin Douglas, a man with a deep seated hatred from criminals and an undeniable urge to exact his own personal form of revenge on the evil-doers of the world. Parents murdered, younger brother sold into slaver, Colin does exactly what he has to do to seek vengeance. He sheds his privileged veneer and becomes a criminal to fight criminals. As the years pass, Colin develops a set of skills that not only allows him to rescue what's left of his brother Graham, but catches the eyes of the MI-6 agency. He serves as a contract agent. After Angela's kidnapping, they contract him to find and rescue her. In order to do so, he'd have to go deeper under cover than he ever had before.To enter a snake lair, Colin would have to become a snake. When the day finally comes that he gains access to save Angela, will he do what needs to be done to save her? If so, will they survive the aftermath?I was on a book-reading high the during the entire experience. I loved aboso-fucking-lutely everything about this story. I loved Angela's strength and her ability to adapt. The fact that she didn't experience a Stockholm syndrome-type romance makes this novel stand out in contrast to others. Her struggle with remaining true to herself, even though she was repeatedly debased was, for a lack of a better word, inspiring.Colin's story and his drive to complete the mission exhibited true dedication and strength. But he wasn't immune to the whole experience. He struggled with enjoying the sexual situations he was put in while rescuing Angela and feeling shame and guilt because he felt like he was taking advantage of her. It's a hard thing to portray so that the reader can understand his inner turmoil. I never questioned him, call me gullible, but I understood him.The experience at the villa changed Angela irrevocably and Colin understood and was equally changed by what he'd gone through. Their coming together seemed only natural afterwards. Of course it's kind of fucked up that she still someone needs that dominating persona in order to feel safe, but who wouldn't be changed on a basic level after what she'd been through? At least it's with someone who understands and gives her the freedom to make that choice.Visit my blog for more reviews and recommendations!Join the Miss Construed Review's Facebook community!When college sophomore Angela Birch sneaks from Texas to Mexico for Spring Break, she believes the worst that can happen is her parents finding out.Wrong.The worst is falling for the ruse of handsome, alluring Fernando. One spontaneous choice whisks Angela across the world to the pseudo paradise of Spain’s Mediterranean Riviera where she has another choice to make: live cooperatively as one of billionaire Marco Ruiz’s slaves, or die.* * *Colin Douglas’s future was seized and choked when deliberate tragedy struck his Scottish family at the age of sixteen. He spent his remaining youthful years infiltrating the U.K.’s crime world, seeking power, control, and revenge, all leading to a position as an undercover agent. With nothing to lose, Colin accepts the seemingly impossible job of rescuing America’s famous missing girl, Angela Birch. Colin knows that to enter a snake lair, one must become a snake. It turns out to be a mission which will put his desire for control to the ultimate test, and make him wish for things he never knew he wanted.