Present Perfect

Present Perfect - Alison G. Bailey A flipping emotional ride - without breaks or apologies - from start to finish. Amanda "Tweet" has always loved her best friend, Noah. The only problem is, she's absolutely terrified to lose him. She doesn't believe that she in any way deserves someone as perfect as Noah, so she will not let their relationship progress any further than just friends. “I’ve been unsure about many things in my life except that I have always loved him. Every single minute of every single day that I have been on this earth, my heart has belonged to him.” Born a second child, following in the footsteps of her can-do-no-wrong sister, Amanda always feels inadequate in every area of her life. She's not the prettiest, the smartest, or the most confident. This, over her entire lifetime, basically screws any chance at her being happy.When she and Adam reach the age where they notice the opposite sex, her feelings for him change from friendly to anything but. Her following teenage years are spent basically fighting her own feelings and that of Noah. Because get this - he loves her, too!“You’ve always been my girl and always will be. No one will ever take me away from you, Tweet. You’re my heart and soul and that’s never going to change, no matter what you say.” It will take something drastic for this insecure girl to accept that she and Noah are meant to be together.I fought so hard with myself about how to rate this book. I felt that the actual writing was phenomenal, but I just could not stomach Amanda and why she couldn't just get over herself. She had no significant reason to be so down on herself, her parents could have been more encouraging, but what kid doesn't think that? Both they and her sister seemed like nice, normal people. Amanda just took it to a whole other level, especially regarding the situation between her and Noah.The majority of the book was one emotional rollercoaster after another. This boy loved, loved, loved her. From the moment boys even recognize what the female sex is, Amanda was it for him. He fought the entire novel to get her to accept that and she just wouldn't do it. There comes a point when that fight becomes superfluous and you just want to knock the girl in the fuckin' head. What kind of person does that? That's not being a martyr. That's being a fucking idiot.I hated Noah for letting Amanda treat him like crap. He deserved someone who knew what he was offering was out of this world amazing. Not someone so self involved that they threw that gift back in his face again, and again, and again, and again. Arghhhh. But he never gave up, he fought her until the end of the book. I don't know if that makes him amazing or just as stupid as she was.“You do have me. Every part of me. You always have. You just don’t want me.” God. Doesn't that just break your heart? I don't know how he does it. I really don't.It takes a major life crisis that happens around the 70% mark for her to snap the eff out of her funk, and that doesn't even happen immediately. It takes the advice of a very wise, very wonderful person to wake her up.“You don’t need to be perfect in your life, but always be present in it. The present is the most perfect gift you can have.” “The present’s perfect, young grasshopper, because we’re breathing, moving, laughing, crying, and are surprised when we finally meet someone we connect with. Stop living in the past and wasting your present.” All in all, this was a good read. It did make me emotional enough to shed a tear or two, so that fact can't be discounted. However, when it was over I wasn't emotional at all, aside from confusion. Angst for hours on end will do that to a person. You literally don't get any relief until the epilogue, which even then I felt removed. I can't discount the quality of writing, because it was gripping. I just couldn't get past Amanda's insecurity.Casting: Cover model for Amanda. Noah: Visit my blog for more reviews and recommendations!Join the Miss Construed Review's Facebook community!