The Winning Season

The Winning Season - Alison Packard A fresh contemporary romance that was engaging, fast-paced, and definitely swoon-worthy. The Winning Season definitely did not strike out for this girl. Kelly Maxwell, a media relations specialist for the pro baseball team - The Blaze and The Blaze's own catcher, Matt Scanlon, did not start off on the right foot. Reeling from a devastating incident in his past, Matt has been on a downward spiral for the past year. A years worth of mistakes and bad choices cost him his position on the Dodgers team and landed him with his most hated rivals. A fact he didn't even try to be quiet about. After a heated confrontation in L.A., Kelly and Matt have butted heads ever since.After meeting her father by chance at a bar the team frequents, Kelly is treated to a side of Matt she's never seen before. A Matt that has let down his guard. Someone she could like. But Kelly doesn't want to get involved with a player, one reputed to be both on the field and off. But there's something about this man that she is undeniably attracted to. The same goes for him. The more time that he spends with her, the more about her he likes.They both have things in their past that they have had to work through, as well as how they are going to be together when they both work for the team. When they've put all their issues on the table, will they come out as winners?Ahhhh! I was in the mood for something just like this. It did it's job beautifully. It wasn't supposed to be some literary masterpiece. It was sweet and sexy and very well written. The writing was engaging and to the point.Kelly was a very strong character who, in spite of an issue that she will always have to work though, remained firm in her convictions. She has her weaknesses about her body like most women, maybe even more severe than most women. However, unlike some simpering messes that dwell on these issues, she spends every day working through them to be a better, more secure person. She's not without her idiosyncrasies, but she doesn't spend more time on them than necessary. I love how she fought back with Matt, something most other women wouldn't have had the balls to do.Matt, deliciously delectable Matt Scanlon absolutely had me from the first page. He was just enough of an alpha, a sweetheart, a bad boy, a strong man, a soft teddy bear, and a bastard to make me fall absolutely irrevocably in love with him. My heart broke when the reason for his downfall came to light. Its not that much of a shock, but it's nevertheless heartbreaking. I just wanted to scoop him up and console him.I loved the ending. Ah! Super cute, but I don't want to spoil it. ;)I can't say enough positive things about this book. It's like all the true romance novels that I used to read. Well written, convincing dialogue, relationships, emotions and a normal heroine with real issues. There was drama, but it was believable and not too outlandish. I really enjoyed this read and would recommend it to anyone looking for something sweet and well-written that will leave them with a smile. Casting: Matt ScanlonKelly MaxwellVisit my blog for more reviews and recommendations!Join the Miss Construed Review's Facebook community!