Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1) by Penny Reid

Neanderthal Seeks Human: A Smart Romance  - Penny Reid

A laugh-out-loud witty heroine, a swoony, secretive hero and grade-A banter makes Neanderthal Seeks Human one of my favorite books from 2013.

Janie Morris has had a recent run of terrible luck. Not only does she lose her job and her home, but she catches her boyfriend cheating on her to boot. At the end of her proverbial rope the last thing she needs is for a enigmatic guard from her office building to keep showing up wherever she is. Not one to understand the motivations of other human beings, Janie has a very had time understanding Quinn Sullivan.

You can tell right away that Quinn is hiding something – with  Janie’s natural obliviousness, she has no clue as to what it could be. For someone equally intelligent and verbose, she’s really quite blind to what is right in front of her. She doesn’t understand why he could possibly be interested, or what she should do if he is. The death of her mother during her childhood caused her to retreat to memorizing and regurgitating TMTI (too much trivial information) whenever she was confused or emotionally overwhelmed. This leads to her retreating from normal social situations. Her awkward, quirky-cute fumblings with Quinn were the flipping best.

While she navigates her new position and the budding whatever-it-is between her and Quinn she must also deal with an ex who doesn’t understand the phrase “breakup” and an unpredictable criminal sibling.

Throughout all of that, she must figure out what, exactly, Quinn is hiding and what he wants from her.

Neanderthal

I just couldn’t resist reviewing this book in preparation for  the release of it’s sequel, Friends Without Benefits. Janie is one of the most unique, hilarious, awkward and quirky heroines that I’ve ever read. She has the most wry humor and it never fails to make me laugh when I reread it. I read it once a few months ago at a recommendation that I read god-only-knows-where and it’s stuck in my head ever since. That goes to say something because I read a ton of books, so for one to stick in my brain months and months later is really saying something.

What I enjoy most, and what will get me to buy another book by the same author pointblankperiod, is the ability of that author to make me laugh. Accomplish that and I’m an easy sell. Penny Reid had me in stitches with Janie. I cannot wait to see what she does with the next novel. Here are a few of my favorite Janie-isms.

She said I owned the clothes of a radiologist and the shoes of an OBGYN; which is like the medical doctor equivalent of saying that I dressed like a librarian with a propensity of fuckmeboots.

Dan was shorter than me, especially as I was wearing sky blue silk stilettos. He appeared to be my age or a few years older,stocky, and thick necked with swirling tattoos just visible beneath the blue collar of his uniform.Dan gave me a plain once over as he walked me to an elevator and placed his palm against a glass screen. The screen retracted to reveal keypad. Dan then punched in a series of numbers and he said- “You’re very big.”

I gave him a cursory smile, “Yes. I ate all my vegetables as a child.”

Quinn Sullivan, sneaky, broody, controlling. Sigh. He had me the first time he started ordering Janie around. What is it with me and dominating men?

We fought over the bill when it came. By fought I mean: I insisted loudly on paying half and he responded with beleaguered silence. Instead of discussing it or attempting to engage in my one-sided conversation, he wordlessly put his credit card in the holder; he kept it carefully out of my reach as I continued to list all the reasons we should split the check, not the least of which was that we’d agreed earlier that this was not a date, then handed it stealthily to the waiter as he passed. I was still oblivious, making my case, when Quinn signed the receipt.

“Wait- what are you doing?” I looked from him to the paper slip.

Silence. Scribble. Silence. “Did you just sign that? Was that the check?” My voiced hitched, my eyes wide with pseudo outrage.

He glanced up at me, something like mock innocence lighting his features, and said, “I’m sorry. Did you want to split that?”

This sweet, angst-less read is perfect for when you need something lighthearted and fun.

4.5-5 Stars