Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #1)

Captive in the Dark - C.J. Roberts There aren't words for how completely captivated I was by the Dark Duet series. Unflinchingly erotic and hedonistic, the Dark Duet series follows the kidnapping and abuse of Olivia Ruiz by captor Caleb. Even though I have a relatively clear definition of right and wrong, these books made me question my own ideals. Every revelation made me even more curious. What could make a man into such a monster? What would he have had to live through to rip him of his humanity? And even more interesting, what would it take to redeem him? CJ Lewis is a phenomenal wordsmith. The ability to handle such a sensitive topic with such mastery is astounding. Caleb beats, abuses, and rapes Livvie, but in spite of that her loving him is believable and that is what is so amazing. I feel that, I can see that, understand it; that's how well this series is written. The material, outrageous and sickening as it may be, is delivered with supreme accuracy in a no-holds-barred manner. This is who Caleb is, period. Love him or leave him. And she makes you love him. Captive in the Dark revolves around the abduction and abuse of Livvie. Caleb, a former sex slave and now master, has been tasked to find a woman to sell into slavery as a part of an elaborate revenge scheme for the person that stole his life and innocence from him. In order to do so, he's spent the last decade and some change shaping himself into the type of person he needs to be to exact this revenge. This first book is completely in your face with the lengths that he's willing to go. Make no mistake, Caleb is not a nice guy. There's no way that you can go through what he went through and be a nice guy. “This isn't a romance. You're not a damsel in distress and I'm not the handsome prince come to save you.” ― C.J. Roberts, Captive in the DarkIn spite of the horrific acts Caleb subjects her to, Livvie doesn't give in. I think it's part of her fire, her will to live, that attracts Caleb to her in the first place. That and her compassion and understanding. Which is fucking amazing considering what he puts her through. She's definitely a strong woman. She spends a lot of time confused about her own reactions to Caleb. He's sadistic and fucked up, but he has moments of extreme kindness and caring. “I wrapped my arms around him and held on as hard as I could. He was my tormentor and my solace: the creator of the dark and the light within. I didn’t care that he would undoubtedly hurt me at any moment, right now; I just needed somebody to hold me… To tell me these exact words. Its going to be okay. It wasn’t of course, I knew that. But I didn’t care, I needed the lie.” ― C.J. Roberts, Captive in the Dark“Caleb was a strange person, cruel and inhuman; a monster, and yet, at other times, he seemed so capable of something like caring. He made me cry and scream and shake with fear and nearly a split second later he could make me almost believe he wasn't responsible for any of it. He could hold me and make me feel safe. How was that possible?” ― C.J. Roberts, Captive in the DarkThroughout the entire book I couldn't tear my eyes away. I was constantly wondering what was going to happen? What was he going to do next? Does he love her? Hate her? Like her? Despise her? Could she possibly feel anything for him? Was it right? Wrong? What was he going to do with her? I ate this shit up. “For what it's worth Livvie, I never thought of you as a whore. And you are...the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.” ― C.J. Roberts, Captive in the DarkSerious mindfucking going on. TOTALLY worth it. Visit my blog for more reviews and recommendations!Join the Miss Construed Review's Facebook community!