Bone Deep

Bone Deep - Bonnie Dee Largely revolving around the ideological constructs of what is socially acceptable Bone Deep tells the story of a young widowed woman who falls in love with someone who others would consider a freak. It was a soft, sweet story with a bit (and I mean a very tiny bit) of a paranormal twist to it. The thing that I loved most about the story was the setting. Placed in the 1940's where social constructs were particularly suffocating, it contrasts the normality of Sarah's life with Tom, a man from a freak show with tattoos over his entire body.Sarah first sees Tom while attending a traveling carnival. He's dressed in nothing but a piece of cloth and she is stricken by lust and awe. I really loved the depiction of tattoos and the whole tragic, heartbreaking story behind how he got them. Sarah doesn't want to leave and when she does she cannot get the strangely tattooed man out of her mind.Later, she discovers the man hiding in her hay loft. He'd run away from the carnival, whose owner had kept him since his mother passed away, inflicting years of pain on a child while producing the art on his skin. She offers to give him housing in exchange for helping her on her farm. While he stays with her she teaches him how to read.The more time that they spend together, the more she can't deny the attraction she feels for him. She doesn't see him as a freak, she sees the kind, caring person underneath.Will this be enough to keep them together? Or will the opinions of society drive them apart?I wanted to like this so much more than I actually did. For me, it was very slow moving, meandering. I wanted there to be something more to the story. I felt like it was missing a piece to make it truly amazing. I loved his tattoos and the whole idea of accepting someone for who they are and whatnot, but it wasn't enough to make this more than an interesting read. It didn't blow my mind. I didn't hate it, I just didn't love it as much as I thought I would.In the fall of 1946, grieving war widow Sarah goes to the carnival with her friends and is riveted by the tattooed man in the freak show, sporting head to toe body art. Later she discovers him hiding in her hayloft, escaped from virtual imprisonment since childhood by the carnival's evil owner. She shelters him on her farm, fighting a powerful sexual attraction while learning about his mysterious past and gentle nature. When a local child goes missing, Tom uses his psychic gifts to locate her, but his assistance in the case doesn't allay the town's mistrust of such an exotic stranger in their midst. Small-town prejudice tears the lovers apart and a very real threat from carnival owner Art Reed endangers them. Can they rise above obstacles of fear and hate to create the family both have always craved?