Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell #1) by RL Mathewson

Playing for Keeps - R.L. Mathewson

Synopsis

Done with being the world's biggest pushover, Haley decides that things are going to change starting with the aggravating neighbor who has too much charm and not enough restraint. What she didn't expect was to be sucked into his world, but Haley has a game plan and she won't let herself forget just what the bad boy next door is capable of.

The last thing Jason expected was for his little shy neighbor to go Rambo on him over some ruined flowers. After he decides to take her under his wing he can't help but notice that she fits very nicely in his life. Now the only thing left is to convince her that this is anything but a game.

Review playing for keeps

Purchase: KindlePaperback

Hayley has had enough of the impertinence from the boy next door. When he starts pulling up her prized flowers, she decides that she's not going to take any of his crazy antics anymore and confronts him. After a heated argument, and an attack by bees that were living in the flowers, Hayley and Jason escape the bees to her house where they find that they actually get along quite well.

Over the following weeks, Hayley and Jason become close friends. She feeds his hefty appetite with tons of baked goods and he loves her easy going nature. Soon, they're practically by each other's side day and night.

Somehow, someway I managed to find myself in a relationship without the relationship.

Soon, their friendship evolves into a relationship. Jason is a known player and Hayley must take a chance on him considering his history.

Did she take a chance and give herself to him, hoping her heart wouldn't completely shatter when he moved on, or keep it at the physical level that she was comfortable with?

Playing

In the interest of full disclosure, I initially had this one on my 'don't-want-to-read' list. For the life of my, I can't figure out why, as it ended up ensnaring me by the end of the first chapter. I suppose this is one of those instances where it pays off to give novels you'd otherwise written off a second chance.

This is one of the funniest books I've ever read. Their banter was so amusing, I couldn't stop giggling and Jason's obsession with food was very comical. Every time he'd call someone a 'thieving bastard' I couldn't help but chuckle.

"I'm hungry," Jason grumbled.

Brad groaned, "You practically ate both plates of cookies. How the hell are you hungry?"

Jason shrugged. "I just am. Leave me the hell alone! I'm a growing boy, damn it!"

"Yeah, a growing thirty-one year old boy," Brad mumbled.

"I'm still growing so shut the hell up and feed me!""

"Order something and stop bitching!" Brad snapped.

I loved being inside his head, getting to see his side of the story. It was the perfect romantic comedy of enemies -> friends -> lovers. Sweet, funny, a good story with interesting characters and realistic (though slightly exaggerated) situations. The perfect piece of fluff to lift your spirits or to read after a particularly heavy book.

4 stars

Cover models for casting.

Source: http://missconstruedsreviews.com/?p=1162