Best of 2013 (so far!)

best

There are many, many books that I would recommend because they are simply very good. However, to be on this list the books in question have one factor in common: they give my little bookworm heart the golden fuzzies. Every book on this list has given me that giddy feeling when I first started reading. These books are the first that I would recommend when I’m asked which ones I’ve loved from 2013. (I’m literally sighing thinking about them…or contemplating a 20th re-read).

Which books are your favorites from 2013? Leave me a comment!

Ruin by Rachel Van Dyken. My review.

There are no words for how much I adored this book. Wes, especially. This emotionally charged standalone novel (I hear there will actually be a spin-off based on one of my favorite characters!!) is intense, beautiful, and has a happy ending. You’ll need a tissue handy, however! Love, love, loved it!

“Life isn’t fair, but living? Living is heaven. Living is a gift. Every gift is different — every path is different — for some reason this is ours, and the sooner we accept it, the sooner we can stop crying and start living.”

Rock Chick Revolution by Kristen Ashley. My review.

The final installment in the Rock Chick Series did not disappoint! Ren and Ally’s kickass story contained all the much-loved elements about this well loved series: sexy as all get out alphas, action on every other page, drama, and the sexy was out of this world. I love it when the heroines are just as hardcore as the alphas are. Either they’re meek with body and self esteem issues or they’re stiletto wearing vigilantes. Ally was definitely of the stiletto wearing, vigilante variety.

“You’ve got your way, the way you are and the way you are with the ones you care about. And that tells me, a man gets in there, you give that to him, the children you give him, that man will be all kinds of lucky. And I’ve decided we’re gonna see if that man is me.”

Rock Chick Regret by Kristen Ashley. My review.

Book 7 of the 8 book Rock Chick Series. This one is my absolute favorite book of the entire series. Sadie’s story was the most heartbreaking and her transformation the most complete and heartwarming of all the heroines of the series. Expertly told with only the flair KA can pull off. I think I’ve reread this…oh only a thousand times.

“And you think you can help me find my way?”
He shook his head, his eyes went warm and I got another neck squeeze, coupled with a tightening of his arm around my waist. “Mamita, only you can find your way. I just wanna be along for the ride.”

Beneath the Burn by Pam Godwin. My review.

Effortless, captivating prose paired with two tortured souls. Add a dash of kinky BDSM and some heart stopping romance and action and I’m sold. I ate these two tortured souls up! This is another story where the heroine turns that simpering idiot persona on her head and we get to enjoy a sexually aware, in charge of her body woman. I love that.

“This is madness, Jay.”
He kissed her softly. “The comforts of madness are plenty. Enjoy them with me.”

Price of a Kiss by Linda Kage. My review.

Reese doesn’t need to be distracted by thoughts of the opposite sex. Especially considering the fact that she’s currently in hiding due to a psycho ex. Unfortunately that doesn’t curb her attraction to the outrageously sexy boy she ran into on campus. Only…he’s a gigalo. Laugh-out-loud hilarious and very sweet.

“So, you don’t give out freebies? Like ever?” That just sounded so bizarre to me. I would’ve thought a gigolo would be a complete man-whore, even off the clock.
But when his jaw went dead still as he stopped chewing and he said, “Are you…asking for one?”

Arsen by Mia Asher. My review.

This is definitely a love it or hate it novel. I’ve never seen such an honestly depicted telling of an antiheroine in my entire life. So incredibly raw and dark and crazy. The fact that I began to sympathize with the heroine, to understand her reasoning was enough to grant this five stars. In-freaking-credible.

Sex is not a problem. Love isn’t either. I love Ben as much as the first time we said those three beautiful words to each other, but as each baby was taken away from my body by fate, by life, a part of me died and was buried with them in the cold-hard ground.

Reckless by Skye Jordan. My review.

This hot, hot, hot first installment to the Renegades series had me tearing through it at 2 a.m. There was literally nothing I could think of about it that I didn’t love. Romance, heat, a swoony alpha and an engaging story line that was fabulously crafted.

Then he eased the need by pushing his hand low. She gasped in surprise and excitement. At the feel of having a man’s hand between her legs. A real man. The kind of man who made her hot and wet and needy. The kind of man who wasn’t afraid to take charge or give real pleasure.

Where I End and You Begin by Andra Brynn. My review.

Singularly, quite possibly one of my top reads this year. Maybe even ever. I cannot say enough about how amazing this book is. Based on a tragic experience from the author’s own past, Where I End and You Begin is a powerful, provocative story that you simply must read. I was so surprised by how much I fell in love with this.

“You’re not a problem,” Daniel says.
The vibrations of his voice pass through his body, echoing into mine. I smile, bitter, even though I know he can’t see it. “Then why are you so desperate to solve me?”

Craving Constellations by Nicole Jacquelyn. My review.

This book is everything I love about bikers and motorcycle clubs. Brash, crude, offensive, devil-may-care, ride-or-die, sexy-as-sin alphas and heroines who don’t back down. Plus, the guys name is DRAGON. Instalove. This was a book I one-clicked on a whim and I ended up absolutely riveted by Brenna and Dragon’s story. A second chance romance and the first book in the new Aces MC series. I cannot wait for the second!

I was the princess of the Aces MC, and I had the bloody knuckles to prove it.

Dead Sky Morning by Karina Halle. My review, being rewritten.

The third book in her out of this world creepy and fantastic The Experiment in Terror series. Holy. Effing. Shit. did this book scare the bejeesus out of me. I’ve never in my life actually had to put a book down and turn the lights on because it was scaring me so much. If you haven’t started this series, you simply must. Creepy ghosts, and weird locales. Romance and mystery. Freaking. Epic.

“In all of our experiences together, there always was that moment that I could have turned back and I never ever did. Even if it scared me to the core, to the very soul and fiber of my being, I still went forward into the unknown. Some may call that brave. I don’t think I’d call it that. Stubborn beyond repair seemed more fitting.”

Take Care, Sara by Lindy Zart. My review.

Man, this one totally ripped my freaking heart out. I cried, no lie, at least six times. An emotional story about a woman who loses her husband and how she copes with that loss. So realistically portrayed and heart wrenching. Either that or I’m a big old wimp.

“I’m not going anywhere. Deal with it…I’m not going anywhere. I’m not leaving you.” Lincoln’s eyes flashed as he leaned his face close to hers. “You don’t get to tell me to leave you alone. I’ll never leave you alone. I’ll never abandon you. That’s my promise to Cole and that’s my promise to you.”

On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves. My review.

Also one that is on my top-top-top recommendations list. A simply gorgeous tale about two people who are stranded on a island who manage to fall in love despite the significant age difference. The power of love to survive even the most horrendous circumstances, including those inflicted by society.

Because I’m thirteen years older than you are. This might be our world, but it isn’t the real world. You still have a lot of things you haven’t experienced. You won’t want to be tied down to anyone.

Slammed by Colleen Hoover. My review.

Basically anything that Colleen writes is gold, including her first novel about student named Layken who falls for her gorgeous neighbor only to find out later that he’s a teacher at her new school. Totally engrossing and beautiful. The story in and of itself is amazing, but it being layered against slam poetry lifts it to a whole new level.

“It’s not just lies they’re referring to. It’s life. You can’t run to another town, another place, another state. Whatever it is you’re running from-it goes with you. It stays with you until you find out how to confront it.”

Remember When by T. Torrest. My review.

I abso-freaking-lutely love this high school romance. Remember When details the romance of Layla and Trip before Trip turned into a major movie star. Cute, sweet, it made me recall falling in love for the first time and the bittersweet-ness it brings when you must go your separate ways. First book in a trilogy, the final installment is due out this winter!

“No, Layla. I won’t stop.” He moved closer, cradling my head to his chest before continuing. “I know you’re leaving and I would never try to keep you from going, and I guess I have my own path to follow as well. But don’t ever ask me to stop loving you, because I can’t. Don’t ever think I’ll be able to forget you, because I won’t.”

Dead of Eve by Pam Godwin. My review.

Pam Godwin is another go-to author of mine, especially after reading this first book of the Trilogy of Eve series. It absolutely blew me away with it’s unique, raw storyline. After a bioengineered virus targets the women of the world – and succeeds in destroying most of the population, leaving Evie the only female survivor in a sea of brutality, she must do her best to survive. A swarm of aphids – the genetically mutated victims of the virus, men with no qualms about violence, and the instigator to the devastation are all out for her. With the help of a gentle, but cryptic Lakota warrior, a captivating, but celibate Irish priest, and an enigmatic, but secretive Japanese doctor, Evie must discover what her purpose in the devastation is and learn how to fight back because as the last remaining woman, the fate of the world rests on her shoulders.

Stay alive. Seek truth. Don’t look back.

The Tied Man by Tabitha McGowan. My review.

Brash, straightforward artist Lilith is coerced into painting a portrait for the lady of Abermarle Hall, Blaine. She knows the moments she meets Blaine’s mysterious companion, Finn, that there is something off about the luxury resort. The longer she stays at Abermarle, the more she is caught in Blaine’s nefarious web. As time passes Lilith comes to care for the vulnerable and enigmatic Finn and she’ll do anything to save him. LOVED the  fact that there was a female hero/villain. Loved the attention to detail and the amazing writing. If you are into darker novels, this one is a must read.

The summer I met Lilith Bresson, I had begun to die. Not physically, you understand. I had never been that lucky. But each day a little more of my soul disappeared, and Blaine sensed it.

And Blaine Albermarle never let anything escape without a fight.

Source: http://missconstruedsreviews.com/?p=905