When It Rains by Lisa De Jong

When It Rains - Lisa De Jong

Synopsis

One night changed my life forever.

Beau Bennett has been my best friend since I can remember. He was my first crush before everything came crashing down, and now he wants more, but it’s more than I can give him. Things are different now. I wish I could tell him why, but I can’t.

I haven’t told anyone.

I never knew how much I really needed him until the day he left for college, and I was completely alone.

Then one day, Asher Hunt rides into town with his dark, captivating eyes and cocky grin. He doesn’t care who I used to be, he’s simply breathing life into what’s left. People warn me to stay away from him, but he helps me forget the pain that has held me hostage for so long; something I thought was impossible before he walked into my life.

I’ve been hurt.

I’ve been saved.

And I’ve found hope.

I thought my story was written that night, but now I know it was only a new beginning. Until one secret turns my world upside down…

Again.

Purchase: Kindle

when it rains

Kate's life is irrevocably changed one night at a party where she is date raped by a trusted guy in the community. -I'm going to interject on my normal plot refresher spiel to note how amazingly vivid this entire scene was. I was literally chilled to the bone only a few sentences in because I could feel the fear as she was recounting these events. It was, quite frankly, horrible. I felt everything Kate felt and I connected with her as she experiences this atrocity.-

A few years after that night, her best, and only, friend Beau is leaving for college and Kate is feeling his loss and her loneliness more keenly than ever. He finally admits his feelings for her and although she's always loved Beau, she's not at a place in her life emotionally where she feels well enough to give him the kind of relationship he needs. She hasn't come to terms with her assault and is still basically traumatized even years later. So she pushes him away so she can wallow in her misery.

I’m lost. I really have no idea where my life goes from here. I want to say it can’t get any worse, but I’ve thought that before and there always seems to be a hole to sing into. Some days I don’t even know if I can go on.

Kate has deferred college for a while until she can understand what she wants to do with her life, if she can salvage anything from it. While doing that, she's working with her mom at a local cafe in her small town, just going through the motions. One day a mysterious young man named Asher enters the cafe and for the first time in years she finds herself opening up to someone. Someone who seems to have the same kind of secrets inside him that she's been hiding since that night.

“I want to know you. I want to know what it is that made you cry, but more than that, I want to know what I have to do to make you happy again.”

description

When It Rains will leave you with the worst book hangover of your life. The last quarter absolutely wrung every tear that it could from me. I thought I had Asher and his secret all figured out, but I couldn't have been more wrong. The big twist tore me all the way up. I'm not going to divulge anything so I don't ruin the story, just make sure you have plenty of tissues handy. There's controversy over Kate's two love interests because she's going to have to choose either Beau or Asher. So just beware that there is a slight love triangle.

There’s a difference between soul mates and true love. Looking at the surface, they are similar, but when I dug deep down inside, I found they were different.
Is one type of love better than the other? I don’t know but I’m lucky enough to have found them both.

This part didn't bother me so much because one of the relationships leaves her open to explore the other. And I'll just leave it at that. The journey was deeply emotional and heart wrenching. I always cry with these types of books and Lisa De Jong didn't disappoint. It was powerful.

description

Visit my blog for more reviews and recommendations!

Join the Miss Construed Review's Facebook community!

Source: http://missconstruedsreviews.com/?p=1330