Checkmate (A Neighbor From Hell #3) by RL Mathewson

Checkmate  - R.L. Mathewson

Synopsis

There’s nothing worse than living next door to your childhood nemesis, except maybe being forced to share your dream project with him, being blackmailed into going along with something that was just wrong on so many levels, and having your hot cocoa stolen by the person that drove you to drink it in the first place.

As long as she has plenty of hot cocoa, a pair of pliers on hand and is able to resist Connor O’Neil’s bad boy charm then Rory James should be able to make it through this project with her sanity intact. If not…..

She’d probably face a few more nights in jail, have a few more restraining orders slapped against her and lose her heart to the man that ruined her life.

Playing For Keeps (A Neighbor From Hell #1):  Review / Kindle ($0.99!) / Paperback

Pefection (A Neighbor From Hell #2): Kindle (on sale for $0.99 right now!) / Paperback

Checkmate (A Neighbor From Hell #3): Kindle Paperback

review checkmate

Rory James and Connor O'Neil have been lifelong enemies. Their history is rife with countless pranks, fights, and nefarious plots to trip up one another in every aspect of their lives. Over time Connor came to realize that his attention to Rory stemmed from an attraction that was quickly quashed in their teens. Now he simply does it because Rory is unlike any woman he's ever known. When he antagonizes her she doesn't back down or run crying, she always steps up not matter what and therein lies the fun for him.

Presently, they are both contracted to renovate the same house in order for it to be completed by the deadline. To do so, they must bury their hatchets (at least, in front of the boss and their men) to get the job done in time.

In the middle of the project, Connor concocts a plan that puts Rory in his debt, it will serve the dual purpose of convincing the town that they are no longer at each other's throats (and freeing up a lot of establishments that had banned them) as well as lulling her into complacency while he steals her business right out from under her.

Only old feelings begin to resurface and suddenly Connor is rethinking his plan to ruin her life once and for all.

checkmate

Checkmate had all the requisite A Neighbor From Hell attributes we've come to know and love. Frenemies with witty banter, sizzling chemistry, and outrageous stunts.

“When this project was over, he was keeping her, deal or no deal. She belonged with him…This morning he had a taste of what it could be like between them and he’d have to be out of his fucking mind to give that up.”

There was something about this book that just didn't click for me. I was hoping for a lot more of the Bradfords and though they make a spotlight in this book, I was kind of took off guard when I learned that this would be a completely different part of the family. That being said, I did enjoy the back and forth between Connor and Rory, just not as much.

Connor was a chauvinistic pig for the majority of the book. Some of the things that were coming out of his mouth definitely made me do a double take. There seemed to be an overwhelming theme that Rory wasn't capable of doing her job. That I didn't appreciate. He seemed more underhanded and snide than the others. Though I guess them thinking less of the women at first is kind of a running theme in the series.

Overall aside from those little issues, I did like this book, just not as much as the other two.