Carter Reed by Tijan

Carter Reed - Tijan

Synopsis

Emma decided to skip the gym and went home early. It was the last easy decision she made because she found her roommate being raped by the boyfriend. She had two choices. Call the cops and be killed by his family’s mafia connections or kill him first and hope to survive.

There was no choice to her.

She killed the bastard first and went to the one person who could protect her. Carter Reed. He’s a weapon for the rivaling mafia family, but he’s also Emma’s secret. Not only was he best friends with her brother, but she’s the reason he became that weapon in the first place.

Standalone mafia romance with no cliffhanger and a resolved ending.

Purchase: Kindle

review carter

Everything changes for Emma the day that she alters her normal routine and walks in on her best friend and roommate being raped by her boyfriend. Something inside her snaps when she realizes she has two choices: turn him in and risk punishment by his father's mafia connections or kill him and run.

The pain and suffering she watches her roommate endure, even for moments, makes that decision for her. She retrieves a gun and kills him herself. Sealing her fate and changing her life. Forever.

On the run with nowhere to go she has only one place to turn. Her brother's oldest friend and now a hit man for a rival mafia group: Carter Reed.

Before her brother was murdered while Emma watched, the three of them had been as thick as thieves. After, they lost touch and he rose in the mob ranks, picking off her brothers murderers. He's lethal, mysterious, and the perfect person to save her from the mess she'd gotten herself into.

But Carter isn't the boy that she knew all those years ago. He's a weapon and he could her hurt not only physically but emotionally as well.

carter

I am a huge, huge, huge Tijan fan. Huge. Like stalked on Fictionpress 10 years ago huge. Tijan has a distinctive raw style that taps in to the grittiest of emotions and a singular ability to craft unforgettable stories. The same is true for the newest, Carter Reed.

The synopsis alone hooked me with it's promise of action, intrigue, and undeniable romance between the two main characters.

What the synopsis promises, Tijan delivers with startling accuracy. I was immediately invested in the book from the start. Would she be able to save her best friend? Would she get caught and killed by the mafia? Who was Carter Reed? Would he help her? All of these questions kept me frantically turning the pages wanting to know what happened next.

The connection between Carter and Emma was evident from their first meeting. Though they had known each other as children, much time had passed and Emma was unsure of what Carter wanted from her.

I felt like the prey being caught by the predator.

Predator is the perfect word to describe Carter Reed. He's a force to be reckoned with. Lithe, dangerous, secretive with a soft side for the woman he's loved all his life. He's her last hope.

You don’t trust anyone, no one except Carter. Go to Carter. He’ll take care of everything. He’ll take care of you, Ems. I promise.

But he's also a trained killer.

A different look settled over him, a cold mask covered his face. He was no longer the Carter I knew, the one who held me and kissed me. This was the one who killed, and as that sunk in, everything changed. Time slowed until every second passed in rhythm with my heartbeat.

Emma is nothing if not a survivor. She endured the murder of her brother with a surprising resiliency that she draws from the second time she encounters the mafia. She made a very tough decision, putting herself in danger to save her friend, then going to one of the most feared men in the country for help. A refreshing change from the needy heroines of late.

"You did all this for me?"

"I would declare war for you."

Seriously. SWOON!