Review: Him (Him #1) by Carey Heywood

Him - Carey Heywood

Synopsis

Sarah Miller hasn’t been home in seven years. She thought she could stay away forever. If it wasn’t for her big brother's wedding, that is. Part of her even feels silly for staying away this long. It's not like anyone even knew what happened. Well, except for him.

That guy. The one she compared all others to. The one who set the bar so high no other guy after him could even compete. The one who made her feel like anything was possible. The one she thought she would never be good enough for. The one she spent the last seven years trying to forget.

All she needs to do is make it through the next week without running into him.

Reading Order:

Him (#1)

Her (#2)

Him
review him

Ya'll the beginning of this book was pure gold. Like, I fell in book love for the first, oh, 50%. The buildup was absolutely perfect. Sarah is going home, something she hasn't done in a very long time. But she can't miss her brothers wedding, so she begrudgingly boards a train back to the place where her heart was broken...by Him.

Lo and behold, who is on the same flight? You guessed it. None other than Will Price, the boy who used to be her best friend and the love of her life. The sole reason why she'd put off going home for so long. Le tension ensues.

She vows to get through the week for her brother's sake, but it's hard to be faced with the loss, one that she never fully recovered from. The week begins with aching intensity, my heart was so raw for her. I'm such a sucker for second chance romances. And this one had so much potential.

The flashbacks to their high school past depicts their innocent, on-the-cusp-of-love-and-adulthood romance and I absolutely adored all of those parts of the book. The anticipation of their having everything out kept me on the edge of my seat.

"I gave you everything once. Now I have nothing left for you."

What could have possibly driven these two former best friends apart? That's always what gets me about second chance romances, I think. The thing that makes them compelling is the loss of love and then ultimately getting it back. Stories about people who are broken apart automatically have me in their corner rooting for them.

Unfortunately, this also means that there better be a hell of a good reason for them to break up in the first place, otherwise I'm left feeling completely unsatisfied. It pains me to say that that was the case with Him. I couldn't get behind her leaving him so easily. Seven years for that? No. No way. This was her best friend! She would have had some kind of confrontation with him about the entire thing. I just...I couldn't get on that train. Wish I could, but I just wasn't convinced. This left me extremely nonchalant with their reunion which is no bueno for a second chance romance. I need to feel elated, not let down.

Also, the big climax felt like it occurred way too early. The last 15% started to drag and I found myself almost unable to continue. There was no tension, and therefore no interest.

The characters were likeable. Sarah's point of view was interesting and believable, not counting her reasoning for leaving, obviously. Will though, I didn't feel like I got to know him as an adult. Most of the story  was focused around the past and Sarah's perceptions of the week and I'm a firm believer that romance novels should have the focus couple together, though not necessarily 'together', for me to believe their romance. I needed to fall in love with Will and he really wasn't present enough for me to do so.

Despite that, I did like the story I just wasn't in love with it. Gearing up to read book 2, hopefully it'll give me more insight into Will and improve upon the spots in Him that were a little iffy.

fb r him