Review: Beautiful Rose by Missy Johnson

Synopsis

Jack Falcon is a new man. Three years after he left his life in behind in London, Jack finally feels settled. He's surrounded with everything that feels important to him; a great relationship with his brother, Alex, a bar he is about to re-open, and most importantly, he has control of his life and his drams. He know he can't undo the wrongs of his past, but he sure as hell can detrmine his future. He has worked hard to move forward and nothing is going to undo that.Until he meets Rose.

Rose Wilson has never felt normal. Since she was a child, Rose has felt nothing but the overwhelming desire to end her life and she has no idea why. We live to die, so what’s the point in living? Rose has pushed the limits in the past, and pushed people away. She can’t figure out why Jack and Alex are so insistent on helping her. Twelve years of therapy has failed to help her, so why should they be any different?

Jack sees just how beautiful and important Rose is, but convincing her of that means putting his heart on the line, something he isn’t sure he can do. He can’t deny his feeling for Rose, but that doesn’t mean he has to act on them. And Jack isn’t the only one developing feelings for Rose.

Before Rose, Jack vowed he would never let himself fall in love again.

Before Rose, he had control.

But sometimes, it’s losing control that makes you really see what’s really important in your life.

Reading Order:

Seduce (#0.5) Review

Beautiful Rose (#1)

Beautiful Rose by Missy Johnson
review bea

Contains mild spoilers, both for Seduce and Beautiful Rose.

The intriguing Jack Falcon returns, a little more broken, a little more vulnerable, in the first novel of the Beautiful Rose series. Beautiful Rose can technically be read as a standalone, but I highly recommend that you read Seduce the proceeding novella in order to fully understand Jack's character.

Following Seduce, a heartbroken Jack has fled London to live with his brother, Alex. For three years he tries to work through his grief and finally feels like he's found his place as the owner of an up and coming bar. His love life leaves a lot to be desired, but he really cannot find it in himself to risk taking a chance on love. In order to make sure that he doesn't experience that amount of pain ever again, he locks onto an unhealthy relationship with a woman named Harmony that is certain never to amount to more than just sex.

He meets Rose, a patient at the hospital where his brother is a counselor, and she's the first person who makes him want to chance it all again. But Rose has secrets, deep, dark secrets. And she's not so certain that she is strong enough, or healthy enough, to start a relationship with him. Especially after she accepts a position as a waitress at his new bar.

I admire Missy's talent as an author, because her story in Seduce ensnared me in a way that few novella's do. I fell in love with Jack Falcon and I was a bit sad to see how different he was in Beautiful Rose. Gone was the sarcastic, cocky guy and the unique voice that so ensnared me in the prequel. I have a hard time reconciling the two Jacks. Even though I know he's going to be a different person and that this is a different story, I just missed his old character, which is sort of the risk you run when writing two books like these.

I had a really hard time with Rose, though I do respect the author's courage and finesse with addressing the topic of suicide / anxiety / depression. She did redeem herself by the end, though.

The romance was lacking a lot of the heat and substance of the novella's. I think this is the first time that I would actually prefer a novella to a full length book. I just couldn't connect with them, try as I might.

This series shows a lot of promise, however, and I can't wait for Alex's story next!